Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pretty Words, Stunning Content

I don't know where you are reading from, but here in the midwest it is a beautiful Sunday morning! As I was reading this morning I was struck by how beautifully and creatively His Word to us is written. It is full of literary devices and poetry as well as promises and truths. So why try to top that? Here are some jewels that have stood out to me both past and present.


You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
(Psalm 139:5 ESV)


If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
(Psalm 139:9-10 ESV)


Your testimonies are my heritage forever,
for they are the joy of my heart.
(Psalm 119:111 ESV)


You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in your word.
(Psalm 119:114 ESV)


The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor,
and the day of vengeance of our God;
to comfort all who mourn;
to grant to those who mourn in Zion—
to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;
that they may be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified.
(Isaiah 61:1-3 ESV)



Also, just a side note--if you don't have a study bible I recommend the ESV study bible. I use the online and the print version rocks as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment